Formed in 2016, SMPSC consists of residents, businesses, and organizations working together to improve public safety. The group collects community concerns and ideas about ways to improve livability and safety with a restorative lens.
How We Work Together
Advance collaborative practices that improve community safety for everyone by leveraging the time, insights and resources of a broad array of residents, businesses, organizations, and groups who advocate for dynamic system changes toward and alongside elected leaders and City representatives.
Learn more about our mission, goals, and pillars of our work here.
Our coalition members participate in work groups to advance our work between monthly meetings. These work groups meet independently and each shepherd a body of our collaborative work.
How to Get Involved
Interested in becoming a member?
Join our email list and get information about upcoming meetings.
After attending a meeting, a member will follow up with you to understand how you can best plug into the work going forward. This includes signing onto our membership agreement. Preview this membership agreement here.
Our workgroups are working to gather community feedback about the future of public safety while also advocating for immediate changes based on what we know
1. Feedback from Individuals: One work group is working to coordinate and plan listening sessions and other opportunities to hear from individuals in South Minneapolis about their vision for safety and livability
2. Engaging Businesses:
One work group is working to create a survey and other opportunities for local businesses and organizations in South Minneapolis to express their concerns and ideas
3. What We Already Know:
One workgroup has created the following draft framework to guide our advocacy in the 2021 Minneapolis Budget process. To share your feedback on this proposal, email
Many of our coalition members are doing this work both as a collective and separately through our respective organizations and networks
Help increase community-centered investment in safety and livability by taking one of the following actions:.
1. ATTEND! Join us at the monthly SMPSC meetings to get involved. Generally, meetings are held the second Wednesday of the month from 3:00 - 4:30 pm. Until further notice, all meetings will be held via zoom. See the meeting schedule here.
2. Sign Up! Sign on to receive email updates as we announce opportunities for action and updates! Sign up here.
3. Pay Attention! Keep an eye on upcoming announcements related to the City of Minneapolis 2021 budget and understand where spending is being prioritized
4. Share Your Voice! We want to hear from you! Were working to create a range of opportunities to collect your feedback. In the meantime, be sure your elected and appointed representatives understand where your priorities are.
To learn about other ways you can get involved, find more info, or with questions about our work, email Grace Berke at
- SMPSC Mission & Pillars
- $10 Million Framework DRAFT (2020)
- Report: Virtual Town Hall (2020)
- Report: Judicial Listening Session (2018)